C ommuters are waking up to some good news this morning with confirmation that the Met is running as normal after a day of chaos yesterday.
Shortly after 5am this morning the Metrolink Twitter feed finally said that services would run as normal after a night working to rectify what was described as a communications failure.
All services were suspended for six hours yesterday and engineers worked into the early hours identifying and rectifying the fault.
A spokesman for Transport for Greater Manchester said in a statement late on Sunday night: “All tram services are set to operate as normal on Monday morning following a major technical issue on Sunday which affected the network.
“This is not an issue Metrolink has experienced previously. Technicians have worked throughout the evening to identify and fix the issue which is believed to have been caused by a component attached to the Metrolink control network sending out spurious communications, which resulted in the safety system correctly shutting down.
“Metrolink runs a closed IT network with high levels of security and there is no indication of any form of hacking or cyber attack which would also result in shutting down the system. “