Skip to content

Teenager pleads not guilty to murdering 17-year-old in Hale Barns

A 17-year-old accused of murdering Manchester Grammar School pupil Yousef Makki in Hale Barns has appeared in court.

Yousef Makki was killed on March 2nd 2019

A 17-year-old accused of murdering Manchester Grammar School pupil Yousef Makki in Hale Barns has appeared in court.

The teenage defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded not guilty during a short hearing at Manchester Crown Court this morning.

He appeared in court via a video link from an undisclosed location, and wore a black suit, white shirt and black tie.

He spoke only to enter his plea, confirm his name and to state that he could hear the proceedings clearly.

Yousef Ghaleb Makki, from Burnage, was a student at Manchester Grammar Schoo.

The trial is due to be held at Manchester Crown Court on June 18th, before High Court judge Mr Justice Bryan.

At today’s hearing, Judge David Stockdale QC allowed a request to vary the defendant’s bail curfew slightly on some days, from 6pm to 8am to 6pm to 7am.

The change, requested by the defendant’s barrister, Alistair Webster QC, will only take effect on days when his lawyers have arranged to meet him in advance.

Yousef, a Manchester Grammar School pupil from Burnage, died on March 2nd after being stabbed on Gorse Bank Road.

At a preliminary hearing at Manchester Crown Court a few days later, the teenager – who cannot be named for legal reasons – was granted bail.

Later, Judge Stockdale released details of the “range” of conditions taken into account when deciding to grant bail for the accused.

He said: “Bail was granted because I was satisfied that if bail conditions were imposed there was no significant risk of this defendant committing a further offence or an offence causing injury or harm to another person or posing a significant risk of failure to attend court.”

A picture of Yousef released by his family

The defendant must live and sleep each night at a specified address, which has not been made public, observe an electronically monitored curfew between 6pm and 8am, not contact any witnesses or the co-defendant, not to apply for international travel documents, to surrender his passport and be supervised by his local Youth Offending Team.

He must also not enter Greater Manchester except to attend court or see his legal team or engage in any social media in relation to the case.

Additionally, as a mandatory condition of bail for those accused of murder, he must undergo examination by two doctors to determine his mental condition for the preparation of reports.