The new £17m Altrincham Hospital has confirmed an April opening time as details were revealed about its state-of-the-art X-ray service.
The new digital radiography equipment, currently being installed at a cost of £350,000, will also produce much higher quality results for staff to view.
It will be capable of producing images within five seconds, both within the hospital and at other hospital sites within the Trust for review by specialist consultant radiologists if required to aid diagnosis. It will be mobile and located on the ground floor.
The hours of the Altrincham X-ray service have already been extended by 12 hours a week in preparation for the new hospital. They are now in line with the opening hours of the hospital’s minor injuries unit and there is a radiographer on site between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday, and from 10am to 6pm at weekends.
Below: The new digital radiography equipment
Building work is nearly completed on the Railway Street site and the hospital is expected to be fully operational by the end of April. All existing services will transfer to the new facility from the current Victorian hospital on Market Street, including the nurse-led minor injuries unit.
Beth Weston, Director of Trafford Hospitals, said: “We are delighted that our plans to create a new state-of-the-art community hospital for Altrincham are close to fruition. This development will provide an expanded range of general and specialist health services in a modern, high quality healthcare environment. The new X-ray equipment will be a major asset and provide improved diagnostic support to many of our services.”
The new hospital will provide a wide range of general and specialist out-patient and diagnostic services including:
- Audiology (hearing problems)
- Cardiology (heart conditions)
- Clinical Haematology
- General Surgery (including Thyroid and Colorectal)
- Dermatology (skin complaints)
- Elderly Medicine
- ENT (ear, nose and throat) – expanded service
- Gynaecology (female reproductive health)
- Minor injuries unit, nurse-led
- Ophthalmology (eye conditions) – expanded service
- Orthopaedics (bones/joints)
- Pain management
- Phlebotomy (blood tests)
- Podiatry (foot care)
- Radiology – X-ray and ultrasound
- Renal dialysis – new service
- Respiratory (chest conditions)
- Rheumatology (musculoskeletal conditions)
- Vascular (conditions relating to the blood vessels)