Skip to content

Jailed: Hit-and-run driver who killed cyclist in Timperley was found “out of it” on cocktail of drugs

A hit-and-run driver who mowed down a cyclist in Timperley has this afternoon been jailed for eight years at Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court.

A hit-and-run driver who mowed down a cyclist in Timperley has this afternoon been jailed for eight years at Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court.

Ajay Singh, 26, confessed in September to the killing of Vicky Myres after his VW Polo ploughed into her on Stockport Road as she was out cycling with her boyfriend’s mother on the morning of Sunday August 27th.

The court heard today that Singh, who sped from the scene in his damaged car, was traced to his Wythenshawe home several hours after the crash and was discovered “out of it on drugs” with subsequent tests revealing he had taken a combination of cannabis, cocaine, spice and ketamine.

He was also breathalysed and found to be just under the drink drive limit, but over the drug drive limit.

However he was breathalysed again later and found to be around double the drink drive limit, which Rob Hall QC, prosecuting, said was consistent with drinking near to the time of the incident, although it could not be proved he was over the drink drive limit at the time of the incident.

The scene on Stockport Road after August’s hit and run

Judge Potter told Singh: “Your dangerous and unlawful driving, undertaken as it was with a complete disregard for the safety of others, has taken from this world a truly special person.

“When she died she was just 24 years old. She was a good, bright, intelligent and energetic person who had the world at her feet.”

On top of his jail term, which the judge admitted may not seem “adequate” to some, Singh was banned from driving for 10 years.

Singh appeared in the dock this afternoon wearing glasses and a blue jumper.

Prosecuting, Rob Hall QC told the court the defendant had left his home in Hall Lane, Wythenshawe, at about 7.35am on August 27.

He was holding a half drunk bottle of wine, it was said.

Vicky Myres, a florist from Flixton, was left to die at the roadside

He drove towards the Cresta Court hotel in Altrincham and was spotted driving very erratically and at one point, stopped sideways across the road, blocking off traffic.

Singh then arrived at Stockport Road, with witnesses suggesting he was travelling between 70mph and 80mph in a 30mph zone, the court heard.

Mr Hall said that Vicky, who was an experienced cyclist who had recently completed a bike ride from Lands End to John O’Groats, was wearing a helmet and appropriate clothing.

The court heard that she was cycling with the mother of her partner James, Sarah Crosby, and that they had spotted the car before the crash, with Sarah saying: “Gosh that car is going fast”.

Vicky and her long-term partner James had only recently completed a bike ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats

The vehicle was travelling at between 51 and 62mph at the time of the smash, the court heard.

Vicky was killed instantly when she was hit from behind, suffering a broken back and a total of 66 different external injuries.

The court heard that Singh had previous convictions for violence, including violent disorder in Rochdale and a robbery at Rochdale Golf Club, where he stole the victim’s mobile phone after threatening him with a metal bar. He also has previous driving offences.

Singh’s barrister, Amanda Johnson, said he had however attempted to turn his life around, and was married with a three-year-old child and a job as a claims handler.

She told the court: “He cannot explain why he got in the car and drove that day. He was having marital problems and his wife had left him. He cannot turn back the clock but he bitterly regrets his actions.”

Victim impact statements were read out in court today on behalf of the family of Vicky, a florist from Flixton.

Her father said: “My future doesn’t seem that exciting. Obviously life goes on but I will never get to see my baby again.”

James Crosby, Vicky’s partner of six and a half years, said: “Due to the thoughtless, selfish and cowardly actions of the driver my beautiful, innocent girlfriend was taken away from me. My life now feels meaningless.”

Additional reporting: Cavendish Press and the Manchester Evening News